A little over a month ago, we posted asking you to vote for the type of fall blog series that you'd like to see from the official House Party blog. Well, you voted, we listened and party planning won out handily! Our first post in this series focused on tailgating, but with this one, we're taking it down a notch with apple picking and picnics. We've covered apple picking before...and with good reason. Fresh air, fun for all ages and of course, apple cider donuts. But what do you do with all those apples? Here are a few suggestions:
- Perfect apple pie
- Pork tenderloin with apples
- Awesome apple bread
- Candy apples
- Apple bars
Fall is also perfect for a picnic. No bugs, moderate temperatures (meaning no spoiled food) and crisp cool air. They're also really simple, you just have to pick the right place and of course the right food! Parks are an ideal setting for picnicking, so you can relax, feast, and enjoy the foliage. If you're considering taking a trip, check out this article from the Huffington Post listing some of the best areas around the US and Canada to see the leaves change. Here are some ideas of what to add to your picnic basket:
- Pasta salad: Quick to make and easy to pack. This Pinterest board has a ton of pasta salad recipes to choose from.
- Hummus and pita chips: For some hummus recipe ideas, take a look at Larry's amazing blog on making hummus in 10 minutes.
- Sandwiches for sure: But if you'd like to consider some other food choices to put in your basket, visit allrecipes.com. I especially liked the old-fashioned chocolate fudge recipe, mmm.
- Two warm, cozy blankets: One to sit on and one to cover yourself up with when it gets a little chilly.
- Portable Grill: In case you're short on time, you can just cook there!
- Thermos: For your coffee, hot chocolate, soup, or tea.
- Wine: Of course.
What are some of your tips for apple picking or picnicking?