In each installment of The 4-1-1, we interview a different member of the House Party Team, asking the big questions that are on everyone's minds. You've started to get to know Liz from her blog posts...but did you also know she's the one who puts together and sends you your monthly House Party Newsletter? And delivers you House Specials (our new deal program) every Tuesday? Mark sat down with Liz to learn more about life as an Email Marketing Manager, a bride-to-be and a die-hard Philly fan in NYC.
1) I once had the responsibility of sending emails and I found it to be quite the nerve-wracking experience. Do you have any fears or nightmares about email deployments gone wrong? It can be nerve-wracking for sure, I just try to double and triple-check everything to ensure accuracy - especially the host finalist emails! Those are the most critical since the House Party members are anxiously awaiting to hear if the party is theirs!
2) You're a big Philadelphia sports fan but you now live in the greater New York City area. Is it hard on you to root for your Eagles and Phillies being surrounded by all those loud New Yorkers? Yes, definitely. I miss the Philadelphia area very much for this reason. I've converted a few friends, but it's hard to find the games on at sports bars, so my wonderful fiance purchased the MLB sports package for me so I can watch at home! However, there's a certain wonderful feeling that comes when you're surrounded by passionate fans and enjoying a game together. I always try to make it to Chickie's & Pete'sR sports bar or the actual stadium when I'm in the Philly area.
3) You're getting married in a few months, what's been the best and worst part about being a "bride-to-be"? I would say the worst part is the waiting - we've been engaged for a little over a year and although everyone tells you it'll be here before you know it, it's taking too long! I'm not a very patient person though, so that could be why! Budgeting has been tough too; while we want to have a great day, we're realistic about the many expenses in our near future too (e.g., a puppy!). However, that's given me the chance to be extra creative and take on some DIY projects that are fun!
The best part is putting all the little details together - I'm an event planner at heart and am very detail oriented, so from the personalized napkins, the color coordinated straws and the customized menu, I love it all! I can't wait to see it all come together. I also can't wait for the honeymoon in Mexico (Riviera Maya, as recommended by you, Mark)!
4) I am a big fan of reality TV, if you could be on one of these shows, which one would it be and why? Jersey Shore, The Real World, Survivor, The Amazing Race or Bachelor Pad? I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of these 'reality' shows, although I did like Real World when I was younger. I guess I would enjoy doing something like the Amazing Race - seems like an exciting adventure and I do love to travel!
5) You sit in the office in an area with a close proximity to Sarah, Brian and Jared. Are there any annoying things they do that you want to unearth here today? Anything to get off your chest? This is the place to do it. I'm not sure if this public blog is necessarily a safe place, but let me think... Well, Sarah gets the Party Packs delivered to her as a Customer Service team member, so I get a first look, which is pretty cool. Brian eats fruit leathers which I think is strange and also taps his feet a lot but I do borrow his iPhone charger on occasion so that's convenient. Jared's desk is quite messy which can be unsightly but he also has the most toys readily available so that's a plus. I must say I enjoy my cube mates and wouldn't change a thing (except maybe you coming back to join us in person!)
6) What's the next big thing we can expect from you in the email world? Anything to get the House Party community excited about? Well as I'm sure you're all used to by now, keep expecting our monthly newsletter the first Wednesday of each month. Also, we just launched House Specials - there are some really cool deals coming up so be sure to sign up for that weekly email. Otherwise I'll just keep trying to optimize our emails and our opt-in process to make sure we're sending you everything you want (and nothing you don't!).
Any burning questions for our Email Marketing Manager, Liz?
[author] [author_image timthumb='on']#[/author_image] [author_info]Mark is a friend of House Party. Mark held a number of different roles during his four years with the company, most as the Community Support Director. This basically meant his job was to make sure all our hosts and guests had everything they need to throw an awesome party. Mark was born in Washington D.C., grew up in Burke, Virginia and currently lives with his fiance, Dani, and his rescue pup, Ferguson. He's an avid sports fan with his unbreakable bonds to the Washington Redskins, Capitals, Nationals and Davidson Wildcats. Mark's party tip: Two Words - Sunday, Funday! [/author_info] [/author]