Smoothies scream summer, so what better way to cling onto the final weeks of the season than with these tasty, healthy treats? They're the most fun to make when you don't measure anything - eyeballing it usually works well and you can adjust easily based on the number of drinks you're serving up. Below are six smoothie recipes that are tasty and healthy! I've made some variations of the below using my beloved VitaMix blender, but these should work with most high-powered blenders.
- Peel, wrap, and freeze bananas ahead of time
- Unsweetened almond milk works great for all of these
- When using peanut butter as an ingredient, use the kind made with just peanuts or peanuts and salt
- Top the smoothies off with a little ice for a slushier consistency
- After blending the smoothie, sample a sip and if it doesn't taste as good as expected, make a tweak to add something else in or more of an ingredient. Then re-blend, resample and serve! It's all about experimenting.
1. Green Smoothie
- August 15 was International Green Smoothie Day, so we sampled a variety at the office. Don't let the idea of kale in a smoothie scare you away - when paired with fruit, it's quite delicious. Here are a few suggestions.
- Ingredients: greens/veggies, fruits, and milk of your choice
2. Detox Smoothie
- Ingredients: milk of choice, kale, frozen blueberries, frozen banana, cinnamon
3. Chocolate Milk Smoothie
- Ingredients: milk of choice, frozen banana, a few tablespoons of cocoa
- Optional ingredients: handful of Brazil nuts to add nutrients and help thicken the smoothie, squirt of agave if people like it sweeter, cinnamon and/or peanut butter or ground espresso
4. Brazilian Smoothie
- Ingredients: avocado (trust us, you won't really taste this and it'll do wonders for your skin), little coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, frozen banana or agave, teaspoon or so of vanilla extract
5. Mango Pina Colada Smoothie
- Ingredients: frozen pineapple chunks, frozen mango chunks, frozen banana, unsweetened shredded coconut, coconut milk and/or milk of choice
6. " PB & J" Smoothie
- Ingredients: milk of choice, frozen strawberries or frozen grapes, peanut butter (as I mentioned earlier, the kind made with just peanuts or peanuts and salt really works best), half frozen banana or some agave
What ingredients do you like to use when whirring up smoothies?